Skip to main content

Brunelleschi and his visual experiment

    He was drilling a small hole in the panel. For the past few weeks he had painted the panel with utmost concentration. The painting was of the Florence Baptistry and its surrounding, as it looked when seen from the Cathedral. There was something special in this painting when compared to all other paintings of that time. 

Once done, he set the panel to face the view that inspired it. Now he stood behind the panel and leaned forward to peep through the hole. For an onlooker, all this might have looked crazy, or even worse he or she would have accused this painter of plotting something shady.

As he was peeping through the hole, Brunelleschi picks up a mirror and holds the mirror at arm's length, in front of the panel. Now he was able to see the reflection of the painting in the mirror. As he continued to view through the hole, he moved the mirror in and out of his line of sight. It was now clear that he was trying to compare his painting to the real Baptistery.

But, can't one just compare by keeping the view and the painting side by side? Yes, but Brunelleschi was up to something more. Whenever he saw a painting, he always felt that something is off when compared to the real object that painting was inspired by. This was especially true for long shot views that comprised of buildings, trees, clouds, people and so on. He was trying to understand how and why things look different and appear to be of different shape when viewed from a distance, and from different angles.

 


Spurred by his desire to draw paintings that looked realistic, he was trying to master the technique of rendering a three-dimensional view onto a two-dimensional surface.Now as he saw the reflection of the painting in the mirror and the real view of the Baptistery, he was pleasantly surprised and found it hard to contain his joy.

He then ran to his friend Donatello and asked him to immediately go with him to the Cathedral. Puzzled by such a demand at an early hour of the day, and the hard-pressed joy behind his face, Donatello asked what was the matter. But Brunelleschi wasn't ready to give even a clue. He wanted his friend to see it first hand. Donatello could sense that he was about to witness something extra-ordinary and ran with his friend towards the Cathedral.

Upon reaching the top of the Cathedral, Brunelleschi made his friend do the same experiment he had done less than an hour ago. As he peeped through the hole, while the mirror was moved in and out of sight, Donatello was awestruck! His friend had painted the first three dimensional painting, which was strikingly similar to the real view!

From here, Brunelleschi's his system of linear perspective went on to revolutionize art, and he himself became an inspiration for many great artists of Renaissance, including Leonardo da Vinci.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just like that!

One of my nephews is three and a half years old now. If you have spent a good amount of time with a kid this age, you would relate to the fact that they ask a zillion questions. Or should I say they ask the same question a zillion times? As most things are new to them, kids look at everything with boundless curiosity. As such, I am now being barraged with so many WHYs on a daily basis. Upto a point I would answer his questions patiently, but then it gets down to basics where it becomes increasingly difficult to answer. These basics are something I always believed that I understood, but with one of his simple 'why?', he destroys my illusion in no time. When it gets difficult to answer, I get angry. Because my ego is hurt! Is he teasing me? No! Because I can see the innocence in his face and these questions coming out of pure curiosity. Yet, that doesn't seem to be a very good reasoning. I try to console myself by thinking he is not old enough to understand all the nuances. H

Do we really know what we are looking for in life?

As we get older and older in life, until a certain point, all equations in life get equally messier. Kids live in the moment. Whatever is their state of mind, they stay in the present. Mostly active, curious, and happy, and sometimes hurt, crying, and sad. It is an intense state of living. Does a kid born in a rich family feel more happy than a kid born in a poor family? I am talking here of the depth of the happiness, not the breadth of it. Of course, a rich kid is always attended to, its whims will be satisfied quickly, and hence it may have more moments of happiness in life. On the other hand, a poor kid is mostly unattended, possibly subjected to traumatic experiences every day, and hence may have fewer moments to cherish. But I don't think the intensity of both kids' excitement and happiness differ at all. I was born in a lower middle class family. Both of my parents had to work to make ends meet. Thus I and my sister were hardly supervised. Though my parents genuinely tri

[Poem] The Burned Letter - by Pushkin

Farewell, Letter of Love! farewell: it's her desire. How long did I delay! How long refused, in ire, I to destroy the single joy of mine!... Enough! The time has come. Burn, scripts of love divine. I'm ready; nothing else can call for my sad soul… Now the greedy flame is touching its form whole… A minute!… it is flamed and blazing – smoke, light, With my bitter laments, is flying off my sight. And now the ring's stamp forfeited its form previous – It's boiling – the seal wax… O, Providence of Heavens! That's all! The letter's leaves are twisted, now black; On their light ashes their well known track Is whitening… My heart is squeezed. Oh, dear ashes, In my sad destiny, my poor consolations, Forever lie on breast, so fully, fully wracked…